Thursday, October 27, 2005

from the 3rd amigo

Glad to be of assistance.

It is amazing what a step back and a new day can bring.

So, for those of you that are woundering what the third little amigo is doing these days.... let me fill you in and clear up any ghaustly rumors.

I David do will my.... oh wait that is for another posting.

I am working for a company called CAD Solutions. We have been hired as a sub-contractor to do the CAD work for JHKelly one of the largest, and definatly most worth-while mechanical contractor on the west coast to work for. JHKelly has been sub-contracted to do the mechanical portion, and duct work insulation ?!?, by Turner Construction (TCCO) on the Sacred Heart Medical Center project. The hospital is being constucted for somewhere in the ball park of $350M. My cut is much smaller. Of course that was before $ change orders $. For any of you familuar with the little building project that went on down in Reno a few years back you can rember how many contractors make ALL there profit on change orders. We both smile and groan when changes are made. Lots of money.... a pain in the neck to change.

So, now that I have established the higherarchy of my working environment.... My official title is Project Engineer. I didn't know that until my buisness cards showed up. My primary responsibilities are to keep the field current with what they need to proceed in layout of sleeves and inserts. (Sleeves are sheet metal cylinders used to keep the concrete away from where a pipe will penetrate the concrete slab being poured. Inserts are what is know as bangers. These are used hang strut by providing a screw permanitly poured into the concrete.) Another primary responsibility is to go to coordination meetings every Wednesday and argue over who gets to run through that one inch of ceiling space.

The main portion of the hospital is has grids 1-20 north to south with 32 ft between each grid and B-M east to west with 24 ft between those grids. The garauge level (which is by far the lightest floor and easiest to coordinate) had almost 8000 sleeves and inserts.

A third responsibility is to track all RFI's, ASI's, Addendums, constructability logs, and any other official instructions we may have that can make the install differ from the blueprints as issued to us.

Thus far I average about 44 hours a week at work. My highest week was 48 hours. My shortest that I actually worked 5 days was 43. I typically try and leave at noon on Friday to start a precidance for later in the year when the days get shorter.

I have my own appartment. The address can be found from alternate forms of communication. I am convinced that if I ever upgraded to a car that looked remotely new or like it actually could run a few years without some serous maintnence, I will need to move to a different neighborhood. It take several blocks before you find an even remotely nice car. But I am right off a nice city park and everyone around seems nice. It is a quiet part of town. I like that.

I think that might ward off the biggest of rumors. I am tired and going to bed.

the little amigo,
David

--reposted on behalf of the third forgetful amigo as he forgot what is blogger account was--

No comments: